Haiti this time around has been different. (NOT in a bad way!)
First of all, when we stepped out of the Port Au Prince airport it was rainy, getting dark.. and cold! (Cold is never a word used to describe Haiti) Already having that gloomy-ish “I just wanna curl up and watch a movie or nap” feeling because of the weather, when I saw the children without clothes on the streets outside the airport asking for money & food.. the chaoticness of PAP.. that smell of burning trash.. the tent cities.. everything, I was just hit with real, deep sadness.... and how unprepared my heart was to see all of that again. I was so caught up in support raising and praying for money to come through that I kind of forgot about where it was that I was going. I forgot about the deep brokenness of Haiti, the reason M.O.H. is here, the reason I am here,we're here so God can bring redemption to His people. Not that he needs us in anyway shape or form, but just the sweet fact that He cares enough about us to let us KNOW Him. One way He chooses to do that is to let us participate in advancing the Kingdom. We get to experience His love & grace in a tangible way, and know that we need our provider daily.
"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD,
"and my servant whom I have chosen,
that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
nor shall there be any after me.
On the bus ride from the airport to Mission of Hope's compound I just tried to take it all in and pray that Jesus would prepare my heart for this summer. As soon as we pulled into M.O.H. I saw the new team building and the new patio/kitchen and I was just amazed at the changes from last summer to now. Suuuuper encouraging for my heart to see that progress!
It feels weird being here knowing I am not leaving for 2.5 months.. which in the long run, not a long time.. as of today being two days into that time... seems like a long while... But in that I am so excited to be able to have that long while to build relationships. and after meeting all the staff and seeing the properties I just feel so blessed to be HERE. In Haiti. At M.O.H. With these people. Being loved on, and loving on others.
Speaking of people, I love all the other interns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are 12 of us here (3 more coming) and we have been doing so many team building games that the bonding as been sped up... realllllllllllly fast! We have only been here two days but it feels like longer. (in a good way!)
I can not wait to see the ways Jesus stretches, grows, breaks, comforts, heals, and guides me this summer... reminding me of my need for Him.
P.S.... can I just say I got to hold the CUTEST orphan boy Pierre for a bit today and his smile made my heart skip a beat! (stole this photo from my friend Abby!)

Oh, so glad to read and update! :)
ReplyDeletePraying for you, friend, and the good works He has prepared in advance for you to do this summer.