Saturday, June 25, 2011

G'narley Yall

As you may know, I am at Mission of Hope working as a teams intern. I basically get assigned a new team every week get to know them, take them out into the villages, and tell them all about M.O.H. while answering any questions they have about Haiti or M.O.H.

So far it has been real fun! I have met some great people. (Interns, Staff, Groups, Haitians). I'm probably not supposed to have favorites.... but so far I for SURE have a favorite team... actually it's a few groups of people that got randomly placed together and formed into the best mix of people.
What do you get when you mix 6 guys from Malibu, CA, 2 sisters from Monroe, LA, and 1 man from Orlando??... "Gnarly Yall!"

This group was ridiculous... in a fantastic way! The southern accents and the surfer lingo made for delightful conversations. I was laughing the majority of my time with them.. the non-laugh-attack moments were sweet friendship building moments or ones of deep, real, raw reflection on the happenings of the day.

I feel so BLESSED to have been apart of this group!

Since being here, I've been trying to see Haiti as my home for the summer and have slowly become more and more num to the brokenness and poverty of this country.. I started to see it more as a spectacle than real life for people. The "Gnarly Yall"'s group reflections reminded me that this place and these people are not just here for us to go observe every week... this is their HOME and their REAL lives.

It was cool to hear the groups hearts as they struggled with how we can realllly HELP Haiti.
Also, the interns (and all MOH staff) are reading a book called 'When Helping Hurts' and MAN, it is blowing my mind. EVERYONE should read it... serriously, go buy it. Now.

This group and reading When Helping Hurts have reminded me that I (all of us!) can NOT offer Haiti ANYTHING of our own that is of worth. The bracelets, crafts, and soccer balls are gifts that can bring some happiness for SURE (I mean seriously, these boys LOVE soccer, a LOT!) but those are not usually going to be the gifts God uses to transform Haiti as a Christ centered nation.

All that to say, the work God is doing through Mission of Hope and the Church is incredible. M.O.H. is encouraging the CHURCH to BE the CHURCH! North Americans aren't allowed to pass out anything while they are here, ALL donations are passed out through the church. Who knows Haitians needs best? North Americans?.. NO. Haitians?.. YES!

The Gospel isn't that some countries have it together and should teach others how to live. The GOSPEL is that we are ALL broken. Whether you're American, Haitian, Indian, Eskimo, Icelandic... you ARE broken and in need of Jesus, whether it is in similar ways or different. We can not love and care for Haitians, until we realized we have been loved and cared for by Jesus. We can not begin to act like the Good Samaritan until we believe that Jesus was THE good Samaritan who cared for the one He wasn't supposed to, the broken, beat up, bruised, enemy... ME. (Luke 10:25-37)

We are not the reconcilers, restorers, or redemption bringers.
Jesus IS.

I don't want to become num to Haiti's brokenness because I am Haiti. If I become num to Haiti's brokenness, I become num to my own. If I become num to my own, I loose sight of Jesus, light, truth, and HOPE. To see that light, truth, and hope, I need to see the darkness, lies, and brokenness that Jesus is redeeming Haiti & I from.

Pray that I see mine & Haiti's brokenness daily, and in that brokenness I see Jesus. In seeing Jesus, I hope I can love Haitians out of the overflow of love He has poured out on Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment